Illustration, Art Journals, Photography, and anything that moves me!

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Textile art

This piece measures 4" x 6". I am going to make it into a larger soft sculpture piece. I am getting sore fingers from all the hand sewing so I used my machine for most of this.

I stated by painting gesso on some muslin fabric. Then when it dried I drew my art design. I painted it with acrylics, then sewed on a fabric backing. It is stuffed to give it a nice feel. I hand stitched the edge and added fiber all around.

Thats it!

5 comments:

Sara lechner said...

I like this one very much too, although you used gesso it doesn't look stiff at all!

sam duffy said...

Wonderful!! i want to touch it!!!!

Sweet Petunia said...

Wow Tara...this is darling. I love the use of fibers and sewing.

Lisa

Joann Loftus said...

Love it, Tara!! Very whimsical!

~Joann

Corey said...

hey Tara, it's been so long since I looked at your blog/website/etc. (I've been severely limiting my computer time). Anyway, I love this fabric piece and the fact that it's actually painted on the fabric vs. being transferred. I like your regular paintings, too, but to me, the fabric and dimension gives the piece SO MUCH MORE depth than the flat canvas or paper- I think you should do more!!