Illustration, Art Journals, Photography, and anything that moves me!

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sisters in Bunny Slippers



Here is a peek at one of my larger paintings I just listed on Etsy. It is 20 x 24 inches. It is really cute but I won't be painting pieces this large again, I really like working much smaller. One of the reasons I like working smaller is that the pieces are just easier to mail. I haven't found an economical safe way to mail larger pieces. For this piece I got some boxes from Aaron Bros to ship it in. I did check out a mailing place and they were asking about $60.00 to mail larger pieces. Yikes!

How do you mail larger pieces?

6 comments:

Binky said...

Hi Tara,
Cute piece. We use UPS to mail pieces that size and larger. It's mush less expensive and you can set up an account online so it's already paid for and labeled. All you have to do is drop it off at a UPS store or truck.

Anonymous said...

the largest painting i've mailed was 16 x 20 (or 24?). I made a custom box (after asking a fellow artist how she mailed larger items)by cutting down and making new folds in an existing box(es). I wrapped the painting cutely and then packed it as securely as possible. Took it to the PO, and I think it only cost about $11-$12 to mail it! The PO had no problems with my "box" either!

Jamie said...

Hi Tara! I have finally learned to paint paintings that fit in pre-made boxes. I have made my own boxes but I am really slow at it. Also for canvas' I use a layer of that thin foam stuff on the face of the painting followed by a piece of cardboard top and bottom like a sandwich, then it goes into the box. I say: first find the box then, paint the painting.

Tara's Art Camp said...

great ideas. Sometimes i find boxes at Aaron Bros, they ship large frames in them. I haven't tried UPS because I don't have a scale. I like your idea Jamie, find a box first then make a painting!

Ginger said...

Went to ship a swap (little light weight) just a toadstool light weight pin cushion 8.00 ups. hmm whats up with ups? cost is going nuts for everything i want good olds days back when others arn't ripping you off.

kim magee said...

hi I usually recycle old boxes I first wrap my canvas in bubble wrap or foam and then with the box opened right up I wrap it around the canvas and use tape to tape it all together. so it stays flat Australia post charge by the cubic meter if its a normal box,so by packing flat it saves me.usually cost is around $18 AUD for a 24 x 24 inch.
love your work cheers kim