Illustration, Art Journals, Photography, and anything that moves me!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Old ledger journal

I often use just what I have around the house to paint in. I got this old ledger journal at a garage sale for .25 cents. I love the lines in the background. I think it adds character. I don't mind that the pages wrinkle from the watercolors, it gives it personality. Plus the pages will probably lay flat when it has been closed for a long time.

Created in a vintage journal ledger, water color, pan pastel, graphite.

9 comments:

Jess said...

You've made these old books into such beaiful items! I agree about the lines adding to the character, like layers of life.
Jess xx

Jess said...

That was meant to say 'beautiful!' x

Flotsam said...

I know someone who always wrote on graph paper. It made whatever he jotted look like clever; like the start of a project or some mathematical workings.

(I don't think he was especially bright).

Peculiarme71 said...

I can't begin to express how much I love these characters...love the old ledger you did these on...you are right the lines in the background get it more personality..wonderful work thanks for sharing!! May I ask what sort of graphite are you working with? I have had one heck of a time finding the right graphite to work with...either it is too pencil like or it is too smeary and messing. Any suggestions?

Tara's Art Camp said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments.

Ardor, Thank you.
I use a graphite pencil for smearing. But I usually revert back to a soft lead pencil, an 8b to get the effect I want. It is soft but not too soft and will smear a little if I want it to.

GlorV1 said...

Very nice journal pages. Love what you've done.

Sunny Carvalho said...

I love the journal pages!! You are so creative and your style and use of color is fab-O !!! xoxo

sandee said...

This journal is just awesome. Love your work!!!

Kathleen Pequignot said...

The ledger book is great! The lines add a lot of interest. I feel the same way about wrinkled pages; they do eventually flatten out enough--I figure it adds even more depth. Lovely work. :)